Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Rant about Suffering

Is it possible that God uses the suffering and pain in our lives to communicate to us? Is it possible that God uses pain and suffering to keep those whom He loves close to Him?

Some wonderful people come to mind ... Jim and Stacy Roden. Josh and Ginger Barrett. Aaron and Holly Mcrae. Chris Simning. Gene and Karen Entz.

It is an interesting paradox that those that God has called daughters and sons have been guaranteed to live a life of suffering and persecution. Paul made the claim that those who choose to live a Godly life would suffer persecution. Jesus stated at the end of the Beatitudes in Matthew 5 that we would be persecuted because of our affiliation with Him. James also said that we are to count it as Joy to encounter these "trials" in order that our Faith may be made complete. In another place he proclaims it to be a blessing to be counted worthy of the sufferings of Christ ... to join Him in His suffering!?!?!

In view of this I'm reminded that it was the Son of God Jesus Christ, the exact representation of God's glory, the one through whom all things are created and sustained, that planned without a 401k, that worked without a benefits program, that lived without a home to lay His head, that preached without a pulpit to call His own, that suffered without an immediate sense of recognition, that gave everything after only receiving so little in return. It is Jesus that, though being God, did not demand and cling to His rights as God. It was He who made Himself nothing taking the humble position of a slave in human form and even going as far as dying a criminals death on a cross ...

I don't know what any of this means except to say, in all my struggles, and in all the pain and suffering that I've experienced, I've seen God. I've touched Him. He has ministered to me there. Although it hurts I see God's Grace abound more and more. I have become more sensitive to my need of God in difficult times. In fact, I don't think I can recall a single thing that has any significance whatsoever in my life that didn't have suffering attached to it. Can you?

Therefore, I relinquish my desire to complain, grow tired, be apathetic, get lazy, and feel alone. I'll stand with Jesus, who's King over all, to joy and to suffer as He does and has done for me. I am child of God! A son of the Most high! A steward of His mysteries! A man after His heart.

Let's choose to cling tightly and in turn rest in knowing that HE is pleased with our faith and our resilience. It is God that gives and takes away. In the end, isn't it all HIS anyway?

No comments: