Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wednesday, Day 5

Wednesday, September 8

Wow, it’s hard to believe our trip is almost over. We’ve been in Fiji 4 days, with travel; we’ve been away from home almost 7 days. One of the things that immediately stood out to me as we made our way to Homes of Hope from the airport is the memory I have as a young girl growing up on the island of Guam. The greenery, the lush vegetation, the homes, so much more, I’ve spent most of my life on the mainland of United States, this week has really made me realize even more how much I love being a part of an island culture.

We have been very busy working on their newest homes for the campus beautifully named SPA, you’ve read about it earlier. We went into town Sunday for church, went for a hike in the jungle, what a great experience! Tonight was the mid-week service called Cel, short for celebration. We all congregated in “Dorm 2”, sat on the floor as we sang worship songs, listened to three testimonies from our team, Marcus, Shannah and myself and listened to our house neighbor, Pastor Ben, he was visiting the campus with four members of his church from Australia. What a wonderful time of worship. Some of the moms sang a beautiful prayer in Fijian and then they sang my churches signature song Micah 6:8. To see the moms and the visitors all worship a wonderful God who has brought us all to this place for a specific purpose will be hard to forget.

We don’t know all of the mom’s stories, it really doesn’t matter. What matters most is they have all found hope and healing in this place called Homes of Hope and if there are some that haven’t yet, they have found a place that will help them get there. The other morning before our devotion time, I sat outside on the steps of the kitchen, doesn’t sound like a great place to plant oneself to spend time with my Heavenly Father but the view I had of the valley was beyond spectacular. I heard Him tell me that even though He has created beauty on this island, when you look deep in the recesses of this island nation, there is hurt and pain… in the deepest valley. Just like us, even though we can find ways to make ourselves beautiful on the outside, every one of us has something that has brought hurt and pain deep down in our hearts. But when we look up and not down, we see the beauty that surrounds us and it really begins when we look to things above, ultimately when we look up to our Father. When we seek Him, only He can bring beauty for our ashes and the oil of joy for mourning.

The young ladies have a wonderful spirit, they seem to love life in the midst of their healing, they encourage and they give me hope too. Please keep all the moms and their babies in your prayers. Pray for Mark and Lynnie Roche as they continue to do God’s work here. Pray for their staff as they continue their work too. Thank you to all those who supported me and the rest of my team with your generous donations and prayers.

One last thing before I close for the night, I have always known this but it really stood out for me this morning, I don’t need to travel half way around the world to do Gods work. Don’t get me wrong, I am enormously grateful for this opportunity, but I need to remember, my mission work begins at home.

God Bless You,

Tracey Johnston

James 1:27 – Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

No comments: